Monday, April 16, 2012

Naming Our Son

"A good name is more desirable than great riches."
-Proverbs 22:1

Naming your child is a great honor, but also a decision not to be taken lightly.  I've been dreaming of what I would one day name my children since I was a young girl.  I used to keep a notebook that I'd fill with my list of favorite boy and girl names (some of which changed from week to week, other names remained in the books year after year).  While our daughter is not named Elizabeth or Victoria and we are not naming our son Josiah or Camden, writing and thinking about those names taught me that choosing your child's name has great significance and requires much thought.

My Hero and I chose Addison's name because we love it.  We like that it is fairly unique and we imagined a happy, joyful Addison as we dreamed of the little girl we couldn't wait to meet.  Her middle name is a family name on both sides.  She fits her name perfectly!

Choosing our son's name was not quite as easy.  As most parents, we wanted a strong name for our son that not only fit an adventurous, energetic little boy, but also a well-respected grown man.  In addition, I had a few guidelines as we chose his name....I wanted it to be a two syllable name, be easy to spell, somewhat unique, and a name that could not be shortened into a nickname.  After much thought, we have chosen to name our son Levi.  Levi Andrew to be exact.


profile picture at 26 weeks

 
After reading this verse in Malachi concerning God's covenant with Levi, we were 100% certain that Levi is the perfect name for our son.  Here is our prayer for our Levi...

"And you will know that I have sent you this admonition so that my covenant with Levi may continue," says the Lord Almighty. "My covenant was with him, a covenant of life and peace, and I gave them to him; this called for reverence and he revered me and stood in awe of my name. True instruction was in his mouth and nothing false was found on his lips. He walked with me in peace and uprightness, and turned many from sin."
-Malachi 2:4-6

Wow.  

And Andrew?  To be honest, we just like the way Levi + Andrew sound next to one another.  It is not a family name on either side, and I never even considered it in the past.  But we love it and think it is perfect.  


We are getting SO excited about meeting our little guy!  He is constantly moving inside of me and I feel such a bond with him already.  I cannot, cannot believe that I'm already in my 3rd trimester!  We have a lot to do before he gets here, and I love being pregnant, so I'm not rushing his entrance.  He will be here soon!  What a blessing he is!

2 comments:

  1. Picking names is such a hard decision, but I love the names you have chosen for your kids. I love the verse you found about Levi, what a neat verse to pray over him! I can't wait to meet Levi!! Not too much longer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren!! It has been such a blessing walking this road together again. How thankful I am for your friendship!

      Delete